- All members of the school community show respect, acceptance and concern for themselves and for others.
- School policies and practices promote self-discipline, responsible decision-making, and accountability.
- Students grow in self-knowledge and develop self-confidence as they learn to deal realistically with their gifts and limitations.
- School programs provide for recognizing, nurturing and exercising leadership in its many forms.
- The school provides opportunities for all members of the community to share their knowledge and gifts with others.
- All members of the school community take personal responsibility for balance in their lives and for their health and well-being
Who We Are
Empowered to question. Equipped to lead.
Duchesne educates young women to be active participants in their own development. We provide a safe, loving place for them to learn how to evaluate complex matters with poise and discernment. We are preparing our students not only for college, but for a lifelong pursuit of faith, understanding, and wisdom.
Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart is an independent, Catholic, college-preparatory high school for girls in grades 9-12. Duchesne was established in Omaha, Nebraska in 1881 and is one of 24 Network of Sacred Heart Schools in the United States and Canada.
Duchesne also operates a preschool for 3-5-year-old boys and girls. Please visit our Preschool page to learn more.
Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart is a Catholic, college-preparatory high school for girls of all faiths and backgrounds. Our philosophy is rooted in the 200-year tradition of the Society of the Sacred Heart. Sharing in the Society's mission to reveal God’s love in the heart of the world, Schools of the Sacred Heart commit to educate to:
1. A personal and active faith in God
- Rooted in the love of Jesus Christ, the school promotes a personal relationship with God and fosters the spiritual lives of its members.
- The school seeks to form its students in the attitudes of the heart of Jesus expressed in respect, compassion, forgiveness and generosity.
- The entire school program explores one’s relationship to God, to self, to others, and to all creation.
- Opening themselves to the transforming power of the Spirit of God, members of the school community engage in personal and communal prayer, reflection and action.
- The entire school program affirms that there is meaning and value in life and fosters a sense of hope in the individual and in the school community.
- The school fosters inter-religious acceptance and dialogue by educating to an understanding of and deep respect for the religions of the world.
- The school presents itself to the wider community as a Christ-centered institution and as an expression of the mission of the Society of the Sacred Heart.
2. A deep respect for intellectual values
- The school develops and implements a curriculum based on the Goals and Criteria, educational research and ongoing evaluation.
- The school provides a rigorous education that incorporates all forms of critical thinking and inspires a life-long love of learning.
- The school program develops aesthetic values and the creative use of the imagination.
- The faculty utilizes a variety of teaching and learning strategies that recognizes the individual needs of the students.
- The school provides ongoing professional development for faculty and staff.
- Members of the school community model and teach ethical and respectful use of technology.
3. A social awareness that impels to action
- The school educates to a critical consciousness that leads its total community to analyze and reflect on the values of society and to act for justice.
- The school offers all its members opportunities for direct service and advocacy and instills a life-long commitment to service.
- The school is linked in a reciprocal manner with ministries among people who are poor, marginalized and suffering from injustice.
- In our multicultural world, the school prepares and inspires students to be active, informed, and responsible citizens locally, nationally, and globally.
- The school teaches respect for creation and prepares students to be stewards of the earth’s resources.
4. The building of community as a Christian value
- The school implements an ongoing plan for educating both adults and students in the heritage and mission of Sacred Heart education.
- The school promotes a safe and welcoming environment in which each person is valued, cared for and respected.
- Adult members of the school model and teach skills needed to build community and practice clear, direct and open communication.
- The school has programs that teach the principles of nonviolence, conflict resolution and peacemaking.
- The school makes deliberate effort to recruit students and employ faculty and staff of diverse races, ethnicities and backgrounds.
- The financial aid program effectively supports socioeconomic diversity.
- The school participates actively in the national and international networks of Sacred Heart schools.
5. Personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom